Author Topic: Class-based bonuses to resists and stats (was "Everyone will hate me...")  (Read 2184 times)

SeanBoggz

• New
Ok so while talking to Daklore... Who already hates what this idea will bring about...

So how about your class deciding more stuff like stats and resis along with the race system that's in place.

It would add a completely new aspect to the game and yes it would probably make us have to have a pwipe and god only knows how many hours coding but in the end it would make the game amazingly interesting as far as how people build characters.

Something about an archmage and a assassin casting the same level religion spell and getting the same results is a bit odd... But with the new system the assassin wouldn't be able to cast it nearly as powerful and the archmage... Just a thought... It would set us apart from many muds though i can't say all...
« Last Edit: 07/20/07, 14:39 by Thalia »
Sean Boggz
-Breaking the mold-

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
Re: Everyone will hate me...
« Reply #1 on: 07/17/07, 10:24 »
Or instead, they could simply modify the code in religion spells to make it so priests cast them at much greater levels, even than mages. C'mon, this isn't channeling normal magic, this is channeling divine might, which, hello!, priests are the masters of. Classes already influence stats, by way of deciding which two stats you can hit 50 in. As for resistance... that doesn't really make much sense. Just because you decide to be a fighter doesn't automatically make you less vulnerable to physical damage. That is illogical.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

SeanBoggz

• New
« Reply #2 on: 07/17/07, 11:12 »
are you telling me that Psionicist shouldn't have more mental resistance than a sellword? What about a Chronomancer's resistance against fire? And yes I think Warlord would feel less pain from physical attacks than a priest or a mage. The list goes on and not EVERY class would have resis that are noticeable. But the stat differences should be more noticeable...
Sean Boggz
-Breaking the mold-

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 07/20/07, 14:39 »
Hmmm... I could see putting in skills or spells that gave appropriate bonuses to resists.  Seems like there's a little bit of that there already, but not widespread or maybe noticable.

Not sure stats need any help, since the classes each have a couple of stats that can go higher than normal (e.g. they can hit 50 instead of 45).

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
Are you kidding? Just because you can use mental attacks, doesn't make you resistant to them. By all logic, they'd have to train their mental attack powers, as well as mental defense abilities.. They only thing we need to do is n*** some mage spells (read: all), n*** some of athorien's spells, and boost some of the other religion spells. And maybe give my class holy armor... but I'll settle for blackfire doing higher than yellow damage on level 50 mobs that -aren't- resistant to the damtype. ... and higher damaging relspells. I -know- you don't want fighters dishing out monsterous hell with religion spells... but what about priests? The conduits of the Gods... they should get some love ya know. >P As for spells/skills that give a bit of resistance.... I'm all for that, sure. But just because you -are- that class, doesn't mean you should get additional resistance by default.

SeanBoggz

• New
well then maybe the resis bonuses/penalties for that class could be unlocked by an uber high amount of RPXP

Then it would be like you trained via RP'ing for extra resis so you did actually work on your mental resistance or your pain threshold for fighters or just things like that maybe not huge things but something that noticable when you get hit ya know? just a passing thought

but yea I like Thalia's solution to this
Sean Boggz
-Breaking the mold-

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
Or, they could do like Thalia mentioned, and make a skill/spell for each fourth tier that had a resistance improvement to it. Like my Holy Barrier, which when GM'd, grants me -10 resistance light and -10 resistance holy.... and 18 AC. And I'm not sure if the res is static or not.... I'll find out when I level again someday >P

Affect: holy barrier    : modifies armor class by 18 for 86 hours
                              : modifies reslight by -10 for 86 hours
                              : modifies resholy by -10 for 86 hours