Author Topic: Daklore + Rant == Head for the hills  (Read 9836 times)

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
Daklore + Rant == Head for the hills
« on: 06/14/07, 18:18 »
Hi, I'm Joe, the human behind Daklore - the gnome demon pervert you all hate or love. I've played this game for what... six, six and a half years? A really long time anyway, and I've seen a lot of things. Plenty of bad, and plenty of good. I've been here to see the mud rise to glory as a great place to hang around and relax, with a laid back staff that isn't power hungry, despite Mayasuha's claims of being so. >P

Yep, I've seen players come and go, I've seen trash talk, I've seen the mud get globally no-channeled, not once, but... what, thrice? That was when I suggested a channel for players to bitch and moan on freely, since people were doing it on OOC everyday then. And thus, the rant channel was born. Yes, you have Daklore to thank for your rant channel. Not that I'm bragging or anything, but this mud you love to play, has had a great deal of my help to craft. Okay, not -that- much in the greatest aspect, but almost every class has a few skills and spells because of me. Priests can actually -play- because of me.

Again, this is fact. I don't want no parade or thanks, I just did what I had to do. So why do I do it? Because I can. Because I love to sit around here and escape the real world for a time. I like to -roleplay-, which is where my rant really lies. I know, took me a while to get to any real point, but for those who know me, you know how long winded I can be. I turn three sentences into three paragraphs.

I'm quite well aware there are some out there who don't agree with my style of RP, and even others who disagree in my RP > Code/PK. That's your choice people, if you want to listen to PK over RP, go for it. I won't be playing along with it, as that's my choice - as it is yours to not play along with my prefered method.

So now we get down to 'my style'. For those who have been here a long time, and been exposed to Daklore's... erm... interesting perks, everyone should at least know - Daklore is a major pervert. His hands find their way to almost every female bottom, but only their butts! Actually, I think Alaunae is the only one who has been spared a groping *shifty eyes* Moving on aside from that, we all know Daklore isn't exactly the kindest person in the world, ICly anyway, I'm too nice for my own good oocly.

Earlier today, it seems, or maybe it was last night, record rants doesn't exactly give a time-frame, but anyway, Chalgyr is the one who gave me a heads up, it seems yet again, someone was ranting against my style of roleplay, and how it was forcing their roleplay. I'm not mentioning any names, but for those of you who were present, you'll know who I refer to, and I also thank those of you who watched my back for me.

Apparently, I was forcing this person to roleplay in a specific way, which, I'd like to say to all, is totally not true. No is the keyword. If you don't want to roleplay something, you say no, and it ends right there. I shrug my shoulders and go on my merry way. Why did this person feel I was forcing their RP? Well, I can't exactly claim I know everything about them, their past RP, and their OOC life; which believe me, does often times affect your IC game; I can say: Daklore is a conniving, manipulating, bastard.

That's right, Daklore is a manipulator. He takes your strengths and makes them weaknesses. He takes your weaknesses and makes them into a living nightmare. For anyone who has ever talked to him ICly, you will agree that almost everything he ever says, is vague, and almost on the fence. Yeah, that's intended, sort of... I don't exactly control it, I just type what comes to mind. So if this person felt their RP was being forced, it was likely because Daklore was successfully doing his job of manipulating them.

Does that mean I was purposely forcing their RP? I can't force anyone to RP any single way, all I can do is try and encourage someone to do it the way Daklore would want them. That is what manipulation is all about. Sorry if you feel it affects you OOCly, but sadly, that is -not- my problem, as I'm manipulating your character, not the human behind it. You are perfectly capable of making your own damned decisions.

Now, why this rant? It's simple. Whatever problems this person had, instead of talking to me and saying they were uncomfortable with it, they brought it global... When I wasn't even there to defend myself. That's really low. I could care less if one more person hates me, but if you're going to insult me and accuse me of something, at least have the balls to do it to my face. Whenever something like this is said about me on global channels when I'm not around, trust me, it'll leak back to me. I have plenty of friends on this MUD whom I've earned the respect of, and likewise, they've earned mine.

Take Tsythor or Jhuldal for instance. ICly, Daklore and they don't really get along very well, but OOCly, we don't have a problem in the world. We've mastered the concept of, 'It's just a fucking game, and our characters are not us.'. So yeah, if you don't like my style of roleplay, which is seeded in the God of Daklore's worship; that of pain, suffering and deception; don't fucking go behind my back and throw shit around. Say it to my face instead.

If you have to say it behind someone's back, then it's because you know you can't win the arguement in the arena of logic.

Also, this post is not for people to just open up and fire off pot shots at Daklore. As Thumper(is that his name?) always says... okay, this isn't exactly accurate, cause I'm too lazy to find the exact quote... but.... "If ya can't say nothing nice, don't say anything at all."

Also... I'd like to appologize for my French. Thank you.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Zylvyn

• New
  • Sarcasm Elemental
Re: Daklore + Rant == Head for the hills
« Reply #1 on: 06/14/07, 20:23 »
So...
Someone went behind your back and you have an issue with it... or rather, have an issue that they didn't go to you first...

>.>  Did you tell Yuri this, before posting this rant, or did you just go global with something before talking to him about it?
Games don't make people violent...  Lag does.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 06/14/07, 21:01 »
While you may have a point, your point is also defeated by the fact that A) I didn't include any names... which you provided a name for. Slacker. And B) I'm not insulting said person, and furthermore, my rant is accessible by all players assuming they join the forums. Thus, it's not really talking behind their back, they just have to turn to the side a bit.

Zylvyn

• New
  • Sarcasm Elemental
« Reply #3 on: 06/14/07, 21:06 »
Freedom of information is a good thing.  Besides, if someone wants to know who to avoid, if mind-bending illogical whining bothers them ... they SHOULD know.

That said, what he said IS accessible to all players... You just have to be on for it... Which isn't turning to the side... so much as ... Knowing where to look.
Games don't make people violent...  Lag does.

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #4 on: 06/15/07, 10:32 »
Here was my whole thing - and I honestly don't care if it's discussed on here or ion the MUD - whatever.  The key I was pushing from the get-go was to discuss it.  Dak's a pain in the ass.  :)  I've known that since he was Raditz on RCD and annoyed the bejeezuz outta Glith ic and sometimes ooc.  Over time, he's grown up, I've grown up, and I realize that his characters are basically pains in the ass - that Joe's a pretty darned good guy if a bit overzealous at times.  So be it.

I've been accused of playing favorites with the guy.  Whoopty-doo.  Dak's the first to admit i've given him an earful when I think he deserves it.  to me, the key is that over 6 years of playing, I never catch him cheating, he's generally courteous and I can certainly think of worse things than that in a guy who's brought us sever players over the years and contributed to the game through his play and ideas.

None of that is relevant to this situation, except that to me what I heard on Rant did not sound quite like the player I've gotten to know.

All I asked, from the beginning, was a quick open dialog.  Because I knew that if you asked Dak oocly to drop something, odds are he would.  He's also been around long enough to know that if he didn't drop it, I'd beat on him.  It's pretty straight forward.  Why am I chiming in on this thread?

Because I'm hoping others eventually read it, and realize that a calm ooc chat is usually all that's needed to resolve an issue.  It's really not much harder than that 90% of the time.  It's a game, enjoy it.  Just don't turn it into a head game, because if it does and I get involved, it usually ends badly.
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 06/15/07, 10:36 »
Keyword, 'have to be on for it'... okay, keywords, but still. My rant is accessible to all whenever they log into the forums, not a specific frame of time. Not many people make a log of everything people say, and then pass it on. Sure, word of mouth can get it back to said person, but by time it gets there, it'll probably be OMGWTFPWND and twisted... like all rumors are.

And you really need to learn to not argue >P

And poo on you Fuzzbutt, you posted a reply while I was typing this! >P And yes, Chalgyr does give me an earful when I deserve it. I am -not- above the rules, despite what some of you people may think. I'm just as subject to 'em as the rest of you shmucks. Thing is, I don't try and push the limits and throw a pissy fit whenever I do something wrong. I just shrug my shoulders and take my punishment.

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #6 on: 06/15/07, 11:58 »
Well and anyone who knows me knows I hate:

- jailing players.  It's silly.  You come to KotL to play a game, not sit in a virtual time-out.

- Punishing players in general.  You're not 6 year old kids.  I hate to have to take something away you spent time earning.

- People causing head-games.  It gets back to my first comment: people come here to get away from real life and to have fun.  And it's to use these characters of ours, not to get into the heads of people who are playing the game.

Too many people forget that these little text words have someone typing them on the other side of the monitor. :P
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 06/15/07, 21:13 »
I sure hope there's soemone on the other side of a character I'm RPing with... it'd sure be kind of wierd RPing with a bot o_O

Zelos

• Contributor
  • The 1 horse in this 1 horse mud
« Reply #8 on: 06/15/07, 23:21 »
I really want to contribute something to this, knowing that some of the things said, somewhat apply to me, and somewhat apply to situations I've been in before. I do sometimes take things personally, but thats because I use a good deal of my own personality in my character, atleast my main. But after I go have a smoke, I'm like WTF, why am I pining over this game? when I come to that realization I just go back and become an evil SOB and do whatever I would do IC'ly to fight back and get back on my feet after that fall. But I always remember, it's just a damn game...a good one...but still just a game.
Tsythor <outgame>: '...  Lineer!  You freaking genius'

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 06/16/07, 12:38 »
As long as you remember that it is a game, and that Daklore is your God which you should kneel before. Cookie to anyone who gets the reference *shifty eyes*

Zelos

• Contributor
  • The 1 horse in this 1 horse mud
« Reply #10 on: 06/16/07, 20:44 »
daklore=god...

kneels

commits seppuku...
Tsythor <outgame>: '...  Lineer!  You freaking genius'

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 06/17/07, 09:50 »
Ah well, once less heretic to deal with.

Leesil

• New
  • Is wasteing away in Marguaritaville
« Reply #12 on: 06/17/07, 10:50 »
While I admit Daklore is a legend in his own mind, You should kneel to look him in the eye, adn I don't recommend it from down there you can smell his breath and realize that those fuzzy leggings are not pants.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 06/17/07, 12:37 »
Except for the fact that Daklore -is- six feet tall now. I'm just too lazy to write a new description.

Leesil

• New
  • Is wasteing away in Marguaritaville
« Reply #14 on: 06/17/07, 16:48 »
I'm going to regret this, I know I am going to regret this........ but HOW does a GNOME get to be 6 feet tall?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one.