Author Topic: Favorite single thing from a non-KotL game  (Read 21243 times)

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
Re: Favorite single thing from a non-KotL game
« Reply #105 on: 07/16/07, 10:26 »
Don't need too. ICly, Chalgyr isn't aiming for global annihilation... like Alaunae and Daklore are.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Zelos

• Contributor
  • The 1 horse in this 1 horse mud
« Reply #106 on: 07/31/07, 11:32 »
okay, so I was thinking about this, why the hell don't we have like an engineer class? We need a more technological class to play with, it could add so much to the game, even be an event, make an area that is just randomly found and has all this ancient gnomish technology and this class is studying it and learning about it and whatnot and boom a new class of adventurer is born.

Just my 2 cents, it's too bad it's canadian penny's tho...
Tsythor <outgame>: '...  Lineer!  You freaking genius'

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #107 on: 08/01/07, 12:28 »
And really, canadian pennies are sort of like large shiny pieces of dirt, right? :D

*hides* This kind of thing has come up a few times.  Early on Gilly was kind of against all 'technology' as were a few of the coders back then.  It hasn't really been discussed much since, that I'm aware of.  I've always been kind of neutral on it myself - seeing some instances of it being cool and others sort of groan-inducing.
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #108 on: 08/03/07, 14:19 »
And then we also have to realize that Lapis is the only nation that possesses anything resembling technology. *pets the Lapis Siege Tortoises* Klevnone's are brutes, Calararian is magical (which is the opposite of science), Mesilena is a swamp filled with undead... what could they want technology for? Armengar just wants to kill Mages, they're almost as brutish as Klevnone... they just live in stone huts instead of wooden ones >P Tozain is a desert, and Tolin is.... uh... not even a kingdom.

So yeah, Lapis == only technology available. So ha!

Zelos

• Contributor
  • The 1 horse in this 1 horse mud
« Reply #109 on: 08/04/07, 22:07 »
I was just thinking that as time progesses there is going to be exploring and people are going to find old things and new things. And it doesn't matter what kind of people each kingdom is stereotyped as being, all that matters is that in each kingdom there is going to be a group, even if it is small, that is interested in learning of this technology. And I'm not talking about lasers and nuclear bombs, well maybe some big bombs, but definitely not of the nuclear variety. Anyways, I think that it would be a nice addition to see possible at some time. I'm thinking nothing more than anything you would find in morrowind or something.
Tsythor <outgame>: '...  Lineer!  You freaking genius'

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #110 on: 08/05/07, 09:41 »
We don't need more classes anyhow. We need more balance brought to the existing classes... like the fact that fighters can't hit things like the GMA, or stuff in the later parts of Oblivion because of the fact that higher leveled things gain a dodging bonus. Or Rogues.... look at all the stuff they -don't- have. I would say priests, but everyone says, "well they can heal." Which is true.... but c'mon, we need a Divinity rune to even do that at an acceptable level. *prods Thalia* Even mages don't need arcanina's to make their arrow spells pwn some hiney.

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
« Reply #111 on: 08/05/07, 10:20 »
When it comes to balancing, don't just prod me... prod the whole staff.  I'm tackling egregious problems as they come up, but even then I do a sanity check with Chal and/or the rest of the staff to make sure what I think needs to change makes sense.

Balancing differences in 75 professions, 105 races, 760+ skills & spells plus hundreds of other factors... is not something a single person has a high chance of succeeding at.

The good news is that we have a good mix of professions represented by the characters the staff routinely play, so as problem areas and suggestions come up we do have some good discussions.
(Not that we always come to a satisfactory conclusion, because there are any number of areas where we still in a "gathering more data" mode.)

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #112 on: 08/06/07, 08:31 »
Like Elitists... which you only have my whining and rambling to go off of. For the record, the blocks on shell and irongrip make the skills completely unfeasible, and illogical. First off, shell is a stance, more or less. Stances are made to be shifted into and out of on the fly to alter the field of battle on the fly, try and gain the upperhand. Irongrip is a state of mind. It shouldn't take me 3 -real- hours to change that state of mind. 50 ticks * 3.5 == roughly 3 hours or more. I'm too lazy to figure it out precisly, but you get my point >P

Besides, Shell and Irongrip already have their drawbacks in the form of lowering your damage output. Sure irongrip is only by 10% or so, but shell is way more. I'd say it drops my damage power by upward of 30% or more. Not exactly sure it returns the same in damage reduction, simply because I'm trying to GM it with 3 hour blocks inbetween uses >.>

Concentrate is just as bad, but useless anyway. It only regenerates a total of 10 health anyway. Unless the GM'd version can generate 10K in one pop.... a 3 hour block is totally unfounded o_O

Hey, this is the wrong thread, isn't it? Ah well. I post where I post!

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #113 on: 08/06/07, 08:46 »
Yes, prod all of the staff with a note or a well-articulated post/thread on here like the last one clearly stating your concerns about a skill.  I never consider the classes completely 'done' - tweaks can always be made, but some need it worse than others.  For example, you can at least tangle with the GMA.  Last time I took a fighter up against him, I was wiped out almost instantly.
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #114 on: 08/06/07, 09:04 »
I might as well be wiped out. All I can do is absorb his damage. I need people behind me to deal damage, cause god forbid, I can't even touch him in melee, and none of my spells are powerful enough to outdamage him. >P Hell, I can tank him better than Magus, who is -supposed- to be a tank class XD You'd think someone with shieldblock would use it against the GMA, ne?