Author Topic: Soft Registration  (Read 2651 times)

Jadyss

• New Contributor
  • Hey everyone. It's Mike.
  • Other character names: Jadyss, Kagaho
Soft Registration
« on: 01/26/15, 04:00 »
I think it should have been added over a decade ago and I saw it mentioned somewhere in related posts--but wanted to give it it's own topic.

Ask for an email upon creation. For account recovery and for important news updates. Give them the standard no spam no selling of email etc. I don't know about everyone but I'd appreciate an email from the mud if I hadn't played for like 3 years or more. Like, hey we're thinking of you and we miss you. Come check out what's been going on etc etc. Stop playing fucking Halo and Wow or League of Legends all the time. Skip some rage and come enter fantasy land etc.
Smart. Intelligent. Articulate. All words that you can find in a dictionary.

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
Re: Soft Registration
« Reply #1 on: 01/26/15, 08:56 »
I'd be interested in other people's opinions on this.

I see value in having an email address because of the recent server change. After Mudmagic switched us to the new server, our IP address changed and we didn't realize ahead of time that was going to happen.  I found that several people -- including me! -- had been using the IP address instead of kotl.org to log into the game. 

I ended up using (for the very first time) the email feature of the forums to send out a mass email to let people know, but not everyone in the game registers on the forums.

There have certainly been other instances where the ability to send an emergency email out because of technical issues would have been useful.

T~

Jadyss

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 01/27/15, 13:44 »
Well hopefully we can get the forums jumping a bit again. Also if this was already implemented well.. ya haha..

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #3 on: 02/04/15, 11:03 »
I would also be curious on this topic - I know it's something Thalia and I have talked about in the past. This came up several times a long time ago - and several players were ADAMENTLY against this back then. I recall several higher profile players telling me they would delete and not come back - stating that I had no business having their email address. That being said, I think using an email address to log into a service or game now is a much more accepted thing than it was 10-12 years ago and there are certainly positives in being able to do so.
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Jadyss

• New Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 02/04/15, 15:54 »
Well the thing is to not make it a requirement. Have a well worded disclaimer and hell they even have the option of not using a real email or temporary email address BUT then they wouldn't get cool communications. Maybe make random periodic codes in said newsletter for small in game prizes?

Bartain

• New
« Reply #5 on: 02/05/15, 01:05 »
E-mail registration is the norm now. I used to play on a MUD a while ago that did e-mail registration. If nothing you could say that it is a tool for account recovery and the occasional newsletter.

sye

• Builders
  • Contributor
  • Other character names: Ashlor Zipfe
« Reply #6 on: 02/07/15, 15:01 »
I think going one step better and having a group text option or skype or facebook group that notifies you of updates.  "double exp" "festivals"  Polls to vote on etc.

Or imm/player run events whatever you wanted.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new - Albert Einstein

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #7 on: 02/27/15, 15:29 »
I do like the idea - especially since for what Sye suggested - I basically leverage the website and FB for it right now. Of course, we'd want an easy way to edit said list too so people can remove from it if they wanted. Hmm
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.