Author Topic: Favorite single thing from a non-KotL game  (Read 21277 times)

Zelos

• Contributor
  • The 1 horse in this 1 horse mud
Re: Favorite single thing from a non-KotL game
« Reply #30 on: 06/17/07, 21:30 »
I believe that KOTL has basically their own version of OLC that is pretty unique, and I've noticed after looking around a lot, that each code has different commands for their OLC so basically, if you find one, let me know, cause I've never been able to find one that actually worked.
Tsythor <outgame>: '...  Lineer!  You freaking genius'

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
« Reply #31 on: 06/18/07, 07:41 »
Actually, the basics of OLC on Kotl are almost identical to the ones you find on standard ROM. The changes they -have- made, simply expand on that. Resets are a bit trickier... and even I'd have to take a refresher in those (I was never good with resets to begin with). There are multiple room description commands for different seasons.... they'd simply only have to leave you the syntax for those, no biggie. Light levels and the like, that would be nothing more than dropping you the syntax. Granted, I haven't built on KOTL in a while, but I'm fairly certain the OLC hasn't really changed much in handling since I last used it.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 06/18/07, 12:38 »
Before you decide to learn the commands, sit down and write....

• the descriptions for a 25-50 room area
  • a summary of the mobs and objects for the area, including name & long descriptions
  • a summary of any special effects for mobs, rooms and objects

If you can do that, then we'll find someone to teach you OLC.  Learning OLC is the easy part.  Having the time, patience, and commitment to write is much harder. 

Of course, getting every niggling little flag set correctly (so I don't swear at you and your 1,000 incarnations) can also be very, very hard.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 06/18/07, 20:51 »
Pfft. You swear at me anyway, and I don't even build! Well, I can.. but I don't... yet... *shifty eyes*

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #34 on: 06/19/07, 11:38 »
First off - Thalia: read up!  Somewhere my explaination to you got lost in the Daklore-inspired banter. :D

Second - a collaborated underdark could be cool.  Mainly 'cause I have no time for it atm. :P

Third - there's really no place to completely learn about our OLC - simply because it's been largely modified.  However, I am more likely to teach someone who's been here for awhile like you guys, than say - people who have been here two weeks.  However, if you do a search on OLC there's got to be something out there to explain the basics.

Fourth - are we ever going to make use of the xyz stuff Thal?  If not, I'll just ignore it from now on.  :)
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Chalgyr

• Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #35 on: 06/19/07, 11:41 »
Third - there's really no place to completely learn about our OLC - simply because it's been largely modified.  However, I am more likely to teach someone who's been here for awhile like you guys, than say - people who have been here two weeks.  However, if you do a search on OLC there's got to be something out there to explain the basics.

I got ambitious enough to look these up, even though I was too lazy to modify my original post.  odd eh?

http://olc.wolfstream.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=1526aeb7121fb2d8353f800f8e0c5956&page=24   Redit

http://olc.wolfstream.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=1526aeb7121fb2d8353f800f8e0c5956&page=21   Oedit

http://olc.wolfstream.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=1526aeb7121fb2d8353f800f8e0c5956&page=18   Medit

That might get you started...

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 06/19/07, 12:52 »
re: xyz -- not yet (keep ending up doing other things instead of ... well... the things that need xyz), but I would still like to see it set so that when it does matter, we don't have to go through every room in the game and set it.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 06/19/07, 16:35 »
Pfft. Yer gonna keep putting it off over and over, and you know it, Thalia >P

Leesil

• New
  • Is wasteing away in Marguaritaville
« Reply #38 on: 06/20/07, 08:35 »
Thanks Guys, that's helpful. Unfortunately I won't be near a computer for the next week, but I'll look it over when I get back. And remember Daklore needs to be walked twice a day, and don't get him wet or he'll multiply.. One Dak is Two too many.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one.

Chalgyr

• Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
« Reply #39 on: 06/20/07, 09:56 »
re: xyz -- not yet (keep ending up doing other things instead of ... well... the things that need xyz), but I would still like to see it set so that when it does matter, we don't have to go through every room in the game and set it.

Cool.  I mean, every area in the game already has a default value, and when I did that huge area update over the winter break, I went through all of the zones.  I'm sure I missed -some- rooms.  If anyone's curious we have 7570 mobs built off of 2263 base types, with 6,337 objects built off of 3,416 prototypes and 8,331 rooms with 18.080 exits.  Odds are... I missed something... but we're probably over 95% of the way there.

So... is this a good place to ask who would like to finish Armengar? :P

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #40 on: 06/20/07, 10:21 »
For the last time, drop a bloody nuclear bomb on it!

Chalgyr

• Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
« Reply #41 on: 06/20/07, 15:52 »
Thanks Guys, that's helpful. Unfortunately I won't be near a computer for the next week, but I'll look it over when I get back. And remember Daklore needs to be walked twice a day, and don't get him wet or he'll multiply.. One Dak is Two too many.

Can I ask that every 3rd or 4th post from you somehow picks on Daklore?  Somehow it just makes my day brighter...

And Daklore - as the person who got me playing a MUD w/ an X/Y system - did you enjoy it there as much as the other players I spoke to did?  Is that MUD even still running? lol

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #42 on: 06/21/07, 10:23 »
The MUD was taken down a couple years back... but supposedly, Sorsha has aquired the codebase somehow... so... she might put it up for those of us who played it to remininse.... As for did I enjoy it? Yes, I did.... it needed a lot more tweaking, as it was a fairly unbalanced system for those who knew how to use it.. Take Sanosuke for instance... damned final flash whore >.>. Always had a saying there.... "When three or more people die at once in the arena, you know Sanosuke's there."

Chalgyr

• Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
« Reply #43 on: 06/21/07, 10:57 »
Well, I can prolly make a guess how the base was acquired. :P

And yeah, I remember hearing about that particular skill.  It was kind of a cool little MUD though.  Would be entertaining to visit again at some point, I imagine.  They had some cool ideas in there. :)

Calryc

• Builders
  • New
  • Lazy Builder
« Reply #44 on: 06/21/07, 14:24 »
So... is this a good place to ask who would like to finish Armengar?

There does not exist a good place for that question.  There's doesn't even exist a good time to ask that.  I'm with Dak on the "Shot and Buried" attitude.  :)
"Knights protect countries at all costs...
   ... Welcome to Kingdoms of the Lost"