Author Topic: Favorite single thing from a non-KotL game  (Read 21265 times)

Lx6

• New
  • One Face Many Names - Lx6
    • LaLuna @ Deviantart
Re: Favorite single thing from a non-KotL game
« Reply #60 on: 06/25/07, 17:00 »
I don't know about codeing it, but that could be intresting, Daklore's Gnome Cannon, Luna's Multiple Personality Assualt, Leesil's Tear Induceing Insult?

And of course we're going to laugh at you, did you forget what MUD your on???  :P

Idiot. Even skilled fighters get one good attack stance or mages get one spell they perfect that's theirs.

I know what sort of Mud this is. They asked for a Favorite Thing from a Non-Kotl game and I gave it.
-please insert brain here-

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
« Reply #61 on: 06/25/07, 18:11 »
I remember when my signature attack liberated Luna of her arms... *shifty eyes* But Daklore's "special attack" technically already exists in RP story format, anyway. Read 'Wings of the Phoenix: Incursio' and you'll see Daklore use it on Shaia. As for an arena... fuzzbutt, we tried to force Farnite to make one ages ago... *prods Chalgyr*
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
« Reply #62 on: 06/25/07, 18:25 »
my favorite/least favorite was damage to specific body parts.  I think there were 16 locations each with internal and external, e.g. external chest and internal chest.  Blunt weapons would do more internal damage, edged weapons more external.  If you maxed damage in a limb, you'd lose that limb.  If you maxed damaged in back, chest, neck or head ... you were dead.  There was also an overall blood level, so you could bleed to death by leaving wounds untended.  I think the amount damaged also impacted skills that used that body part, e.g., walking took more effort if your legs were badly hurt, lockpicking was nearly impossible if your hands were moderately damaged.

And why did that all sound like fun?  'cause I played a healer and always had lots of stuff to do (and tended to earn good tips).

And they had some really gross and disgusting descriptions when your internal body parts were showing through external wounds (e.g., max damage to external abdomen might have your stomach and intestines dangling out, severe damage to chest you might see the heart pumping blood.)

And why was it least favorite?  Cause doing combat and then having to get 32 body locations healed was slow and expensive.

Lx6

• New
    • LaLuna @ Deviantart
« Reply #63 on: 06/26/07, 01:53 »
not even a little random.... "Oh crap you've dislocated your arm.... your shield becomes useless for 5 tics"

or something crazy like that after all if your arm is dislocated then you can't hold your shield or your sword.

azzan

« Reply #64 on: 06/26/07, 07:16 »
I dont personally play any other games... KotL has basically been my "game" home for quite some times. Its seen me through alot of crazy crap in my life. I've tried other MUDS and it just doesnt work - and i've tried to get hooked on the hype of Graphical MMP but i always seem to find my way back here in one form or another.

Cyrgon

• New
« Reply #65 on: 06/26/07, 08:55 »
I like the sheep ability in world of warcraft.
Just think of the coolness.
You're wandering around in some random kingdom, chatting to local rodents, smoking some newly foraged herbs with your elegant, hand crafted pipe. Perhaps you're having a bottle of wine or two and nibbling on a piece of cheese.
The trees are singing, the birds are swaying, then POOF! Crap, you're a sheep.

And a mage comes dancing out from behind a lamp post and steals your wine and cheese with a laughter.
Cold is God's way of telling us to burn more catholics!

Kalindal

« Reply #66 on: 06/26/07, 09:56 »
milkshakes are great

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #67 on: 06/26/07, 10:02 »
Thoughts on this stuff:

Sheep and/or Fear from warcraft.  As a warrior who was sheep/feared/sheep/feared/sheep/feared over and over again (and again and again) in the BG's, I am officially giving you the bird for that suggestion. :)

As for the specific body part damage - who's going to hate me if I say: I really like that?

As for the signature attacks - I thought that was kind of cool on DBZ as well.  In fact, once upon a time - Farnite and I were talking (seems like we talked about ideas more than we implimented them) about having 2 or 3 customizable ones.  Either making them completely customizable, or just renaming an existing spell.  Ie: you can rename 2 spells, so a shield spell becomes Devinoste's Barrier or a backstab can be seen as Glith's Ribtickler or whatever.

The other idea we had bounced around was like at the end of tier 2, at level 100 (or at level 150 when reaching end of 3rd tier, etc - and each one was 'stronger' than the last, so you could make 3 buffing spells, or 3 attack spells or 3 attack skills...) - you get your choice of 3 or 4 types of spells.  Attack, buffing, creating, whatever.  Then you could configure it to be named what you wanted.  Then you could set it to buff one of a few set fields (ac, a stat, hitroll, damroll for buff spells, type of creation - food, potion, scroll or attack type - damtype: water, fire, acid) - and they are all set to values already.  So this spell would either improve AC by 25, damroll by 10, hitroll by 10, a stat by 3, do 75 points of damage on average... etc.  So it all looked very customizable, but basically it was all referring back to a basic structure of stuff, and it was automatically 'grand mastered' there was no improving it, it just sat at 100% all of the time, etc.  But, then he decided it was over his head and it got nixed. :(
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Kalindal

« Reply #68 on: 06/26/07, 10:05 »
warlocks are way overpowered.
hate fighting them.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #69 on: 06/26/07, 15:34 »
As one of the two... three(?) active players in the priest class, I object to body damage! While it'd be nice to smash people's limbs in and break their faces... I'd be swamped with requests to get healed! I don't want to heal people as it is... and on top of that, you guys even took mend away from me! ... well, not Thalia... but those others did! They gave it to everyone else except Elitists, Masters, and Necromancers. Really... why wouldn't an Elitist, who spends their life fighting, not know how to do something as simple as scar removal? *prods at* So yeah... limb and body part damage == bad. Bad in the much too troublesome sense.

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #70 on: 06/26/07, 15:45 »
I kinda like the idea...
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Lx6

• New
    • LaLuna @ Deviantart
« Reply #71 on: 06/26/07, 15:47 »
As one of the two... three(?) active players in the priest class, I object to body damage! While it'd be nice to smash people's limbs in and break their faces... I'd be swamped with requests to get healed! I don't want to heal people as it is... and on top of that, you guys even took mend away from me! ... well, not Thalia... but those others did! They gave it to everyone else except Elitists, Masters, and Necromancers. Really... why wouldn't an Elitist, who spends their life fighting, not know how to do something as simple as scar removal? *prods at* So yeah... limb and body part damage == bad. Bad in the much too troublesome sense.

You get swamped with people asking you to heal them now anyways.......

sides... maybe it would force more people to become priests instead of the bajillion mages we go. ::cough::

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #72 on: 06/26/07, 16:38 »
You kidding? Priests are still probably the hardest class to play, due to the total lack of offensive fire power in their arsenal (and don't say divine strike or unfaithfulnessthinger, cause not all priests get those). Most priests require a group to survive, and half the time, you can't find a group at a low level unless you get a friend or two to join at the same time as you.

An idea for that, however, might be to remove the level restriction on priests in groups, however with experience caps in place to prevent a level 1 from being insane leveled by a level 200... or something. Everyone wants a priest, and it's either me, or the priest is level 50 still.

Pfft. What do you guys care, anyway? You all play mages or fighters anyway.

Slackers.

Calryc

• Builders
  • New
  • Lazy Builder
« Reply #73 on: 06/26/07, 17:33 »
Adding in two cents....

On damagable body parts:
I actually really like this idea.  Personally, I think it would add quite a bit more to battles than random spam.  Now instead of "auto wimpy will take care of this", you would now worry about "geez, have i taken too much damage to my legs to actually run away."

On character specific spells, etc.:
I actually think this is a cool idea.  Though, I don't know if you would want to give a person more than one special.  One idea (which I hope hasn't been presented above) I have, is to offer such an attack/spell above a certain milestone (level, rpexp, hours, dunno).  Then if that char so chooses, he can then teach the special attack to another, in a sort of master/student relationship.  I think this could add great rp value, in that you could have an old char in one last gift to a deserving student, grant out their knowledge of such an attack.  Or having a father teach their son tricks of the trade passed down through generations.  Just seems to be a nice fit into the grand scheme of things.
"Knights protect countries at all costs...
   ... Welcome to Kingdoms of the Lost"

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #74 on: 06/26/07, 18:37 »
Daklore didn't teach his sons any tricks of the trade! ... but that's also because he plans on living forever anyway... he doesn't want his own children to surpass him, after all. But still... pfft on damagable body parts. It already makes little sense that I can survive getting hit with a sword and only lose numbers >P Sides, it would n*** the ability of priests somewhat as well, if healing limbs took a long time.... since priests rely on being able to outheal damage being done... well, not outheal outright, but keep the party (or themself) alive long enough to overpower the foe. If we had to heal limbs along the way.... meh... even I wouldn't wanna heal >P Granted, I don't wanna heal as it is... but still.

Eh, whatever I say. But you also have to take into consideration that our weapons also do -elemental- damage... so how would that factor into it? I mean, an electric shock wouldn't necessarily -damage- your limbs, you know? Same with ice, really. Granted, a sword made of ice could still cut through flesh given time... but I think you get my point, ne?