Author Topic: Favorite single thing from a non-KotL game  (Read 21257 times)

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
Favorite single thing from a non-KotL game
« on: 05/29/07, 13:23 »
Just a quick thread that might be interesting, but all of us here play games and I'm assuming we all play something besides KotL.  What is your favorite feature, idea or story from any non-KotL game?

- It can be setting: maybe you like a bit of gnomish technology or oriental-based swords
- It can be storyline: Maybe you liked the direct interaction with deities from Dragonlance or the different 'worlds' from the Deathgate cyle.
- It can be game design: maybe you like the open nature of Oblivion's character creation or another MUD's player-made house system

Whatever comes to mind - I'd like to see it kept to one post per idea and as thorough an explanation as you want to give.  Discussion of why someone might like or dislike an idea would be great - but no attacking the person for what they like or dislike.  Discuss the merits of the idea.  This could prove interesting for us, and maybe give us staffers some more ideas too if we see recurring themes. :)
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Zelos

• Contributor
  • The 1 horse in this 1 horse mud
Re: Favorite single thing from a non-KotL game
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/07, 22:10 »
...This is why I play KotL... I couldn't find any other game that had anything worthwhile to spend time playing on. I dunno, I guess maybe being able to be to have kids, and the kids pick up some of the parents traits, I've seen that on a mud. Like get better stats at creation, and get a couple more bonuses or something. Thats all I got, you guys go kick my idea around and I'll be back later to look at it.
Tsythor <outgame>: '...  Lineer!  You freaking genius'

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
« Reply #2 on: 06/04/07, 10:30 »
If I had to choose... I'd go at the battle systems from the Namco Tales series. How can you go wrong with something that handles like a fighter, but has cool spell casting thingers? "I call upon thee in the land of the dead, to unleash thy fury as thunder.... Indignation!" -- Genis' Indigination spell ftw *sage*

Mmkay, I'm done babbling now.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Chalgyr

• Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #3 on: 06/04/07, 10:53 »
...This is why I play KotL... I couldn't find any other game that had anything worthwhile to spend time playing on. I dunno, I guess maybe being able to be to have kids, and the kids pick up some of the parents traits, I've seen that on a mud. Like get better stats at creation, and get a couple more bonuses or something. Thats all I got, you guys go kick my idea around and I'll be back later to look at it.

That was something we talked about some time ago, actually.  It never really came to fruition, but family "lines" are quite important on KotL it seems (god knows Gilly and I have a few million) and the idea that a child could be generated over time, with some physical traits and some stats that were a draw off of the parents was something we thought about - as well as a few 'half-races' too, but nothing ever really came of it.  The work load behind it was huge, but not forgotten. :)
« Last Edit: 06/07/07, 08:22 by Chalgyr »

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 06/06/07, 17:30 »
I think you quoted the wrong post there, bud >P

Zelos

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 06/06/07, 21:53 »
lol, smooth move fuzzbutt.

Chalgyr

• Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
« Reply #6 on: 06/07/07, 08:21 »
but, but, but... fine *points his quote at the family one from before* - apparently the quote button was not for the frame I thoguht it was. :)

No other ideas or things ya'll like?  :P

Zelos

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 06/07/07, 20:44 »
okay, not from any game or anything, just something thats been rolling around in my head, We've got secret races, so why not have a few secret classes for people to take after they get to lvl 50 in one of the base classes. Personally, I would still like to see a samurai or ninja class for warriors and rogues. Not sure on what would be good for scouts, priests, and mages just yet. I'm open to suggestions for them though.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 06/07/07, 23:34 »
Pffft. We don't need anymore classes! 'sides, if they did implement secret classes, the older characters who are already max tier would whine that they didn't get a chance to choose them. Or something.

Chalgyr

• Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
« Reply #9 on: 06/08/07, 09:39 »
I do believe that basic notion has been discussed in the past.  We've also talked about somehow expanding classes for top of 4th tier, but as Dak alluded to - more classes would be painful, at least at this juncture, because we already have like 1,200 spells and skills, and would have to make more.  Not out of the question for 'down the road', because I think it could be cool.

Zelos

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 06/08/07, 20:42 »
well, as I said, I'm open to ideas, maybe making them like grandmaster classes or something that requires a new tier, but takes them back down to level one and has special requirements and whatnot, that way, the older folks are compensated for...I'm just too lazy to finish this and too lazy to sit down and think out the rest of my reply, so I think some like special classes would be nice to kinda counteract the race thing. Also, a plague or two to hit the mud, to like actually go through the game and affect the npc's would be nice to see one day. Or even violent snow storms and flooding that makes certain routes to places impassible. okay nuff ramblin for now.

Zelos

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 06/08/07, 20:57 »
sorry about the DP but I got another idea, how about making like flowers and food spoil in your inventory, that would be cool. Annoying, but cool.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 06/08/07, 21:13 »
Who even uses food anymore? What a waste of items! *duck* >P

Zelos

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 06/09/07, 21:25 »
good point, I don't eat anymore myself, just a waste of space that could be used for my runestones.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 06/10/07, 08:29 »
I don't think runestones take up the same space as food... but then again, I could be mistaken. I eat them almost as soon as I get them anyway.