Author Topic: Roaming Vendors  (Read 2645 times)

sye

• Builders
  • Contributor
  • Other character names: Ashlor Zipfe
Roaming Vendors
« on: 08/15/10, 12:31 »
Basically, the idea is what the post implies;

I am thinking about one vendor, but this idea can be stretched for further uses of course.   But, a vendor on a rare spawn timer, so hes not always around.
You could make him really hard to find, by having him randomly spawn or teleport between cities, or just have him in one city.  His wares could be.
Well basically all the runic gear you could acquire throughout the game.   Like
Sand earrings
Dwarven bracers
Dragon age ring / sword
Bone Dagger / Axe
Anything you find usefull to make life easier for new players (you could also make them like 200-400 tokens a piece, so its not free.   Just another option.

On top of that, you could have a dif vendor, or make this one have random items, or put waaaay overpriced items, like for instance.  Opal Moxes, or Crystallines, for 40,000 tokens
or more.   Just so end game people may have something to work with if they really wanted.  (id really like to see the price higher though for really rare items, like 80,000 tokens or more for opal moxes.  They shouldn't be easily attainable.  But it was just a thought.)
You could have him teach rare languages too.

Ontop of that, it would be really really cool, if the npc was very versitile in reaction.   Like keywords set him off, saying kingdoms, or a certain kingdom, players, or other key words.  (so that way people can use them for rp, or it could be used to start rumors in the kingdoms,  Imms could use this tool  for events and stuff. )

I just think anything that gives people more options, promotes roleplay and adds to the game is a good  idea.  So I figured id post it!
-Sye
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new - Albert Einstein

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
Re: Roaming Vendors
« Reply #1 on: 08/15/10, 13:09 »
opal and zargon moxes are meant to be rare like legendary stones, not something you can grind and buy. So no to this.

Crystalline tokens aren't worth 40,000 quest tokens, and they're already given out pretty frequently for free. So no again.

Runic gear can be obtained by a higher level player for a lower level player easily enough as it is. So no again.

I'm not shooting down your idea Sye, but we just don't need a vendor as in the way you suggested it. Everything you want him to sell we can already get easily enough (except for opal and zircon moxes, which aren't INTENDED to be easy to get)

[EDIT]: Wrong name for zargon moxes (I'm hell bent determined to call them zircons)
« Last Edit: 08/15/10, 18:03 by Daklore »
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Zelos

• Contributor
  • The 1 horse in this 1 horse mud
« Reply #2 on: 08/15/10, 13:35 »
putting gem dragon scales in a limited supply with a restock of 1-2 weeks would be nice, maybe even selling some of the runic gear in limited stock with a long restock time.
Tsythor <outgame>: '...  Lineer!  You freaking genius'

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 08/15/10, 13:41 »
Again, all runic gear -- outside gemdragonscales which are meant to be rare -- are easily farmed. We don't -need- a vendor to sell them. Even with the 25% or lower drop rate on gemdragonscales, they're easy enough to farm for a player who can take on the Demon Dragon. Not to mention all runic gear has a minimum level, so a vendor to sell these items is... well, pretty not worth it. If you want it, you can yourself pretty much go and kill the mobile that has the runic item anyway.

Zelos

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 09/03/10, 04:24 »
how about you add a list of the runic gear to the wiki so those who are new know what it is, and I know where it is.

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #5 on: 09/03/10, 09:32 »
I like the general idea though - and it's something I've considered before in terms of wandering mobs, etc.  Not sure what I'd want to have sold, but the basic idea's a sound one.  We could even make them hate daklore...

I wonder if there's a way to make a mob purge itself?  Will have to ask Thalia on that...
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 09/03/10, 09:56 »
Everything already hates Daklore, fuzzbutt. It wouldn't make any difference. I was never opposed to the roaming vendor idea, just what Sye proposed it sell -- items which shouldn't be sold. That's all.

Zelos

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 09/03/10, 10:30 »
Did daklore accept the idea to post all the runic items on the website?

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #8 on: 09/03/10, 17:41 »
Thalia coded me something in on the fly today that can make this notion a reality.  They won't be in right now, but I plan to do some more talk scripting and other such stuff on builder over the following weeks, and will try to add a few mobs that maybe travel and sell - well, hopefully nothing *too* powerful, but hopefully unique or interesting. :)
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 09/04/10, 07:13 »
Well... we'll need a few more things coded ... like the ability for a mob to stick around even if they wander from thier home area.  But we'd  actually talked about randomly wandering mobs that appear & disappear before.  Wouldn't be surprised of Cherna converts to that once once it's available.

sye

• Builders
  • Contributor
  • Other character names: Ashlor Zipfe
« Reply #10 on: 09/05/10, 01:49 »
Sweet, im glad some people see the Gem idea here.   

There is another idea, that might be an easy fix to wandering vanishing vendors
Although I dont know how random you can make it this way..

have three-five rooms maybe more a mob/vendor can spawn in,  MAke all those rooms the same area, have them not be in areas alreayd.. you know, like crevicies that are hidden, so you could do this well.  But they link to rooms outside the area.

Have a rare spawn timer, thats unique like GMA etc.  Have a timer when the mob spawns, to delete itself, have the room its in so no other mobs can go in, and so it can't go out.
There for that eliminates the problem of the mob going where it aught to not go. :)

You could even have it share a timer with a few other mobs,  And each vender sells one unique item, maybe even have the rareness of the item, depict the timer, like maybe said npc, only is around for 10 minutes?
Maybe the crappier or un rarer the stuff, the longer it sticks around. 

(of course you could always do the wandering around, like inbetween cities etc.. get people back into walking around to find stuff miss so much of the work everyone puts in with people who gate and travel. 

ESP with the new augments.    If everyone goes for gate, lol they may not really travel roads ever again ;)  This way that mob would be even harder to find. *grin*

Just throwing that out there.

-Sye
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new - Albert Einstein