Author Topic: Player Retention [Topic split off from Resistance discussion by Thalia]  (Read 2754 times)

elios

• New
While this is off-topic I will answer to this and move it back on-topic.  There are other reason for the lack of retention of new players, and I doubt this is one of them.  For one thing there are plenty of experienced players that can and will answer what-ever questions are brought up creation of customs included.  Once again the current system is working just fine it is just a matter of players asking questions to avoid any pit-falls that are a part of any game.
« Last Edit: 03/04/13, 13:58 by Thalia »

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
While this is off-topic I will answer to this and move it back on-topic.  There are other reason for the lack of retention of new players, and I doubt this is one of them.  For one thing there are plenty of experienced players that can and will answer what-ever questions are brought up creation of customs included.  Once again the current system is working just fine it is just a matter of players asking questions to avoid any pit-falls that are a part of any game.

It's not a matter of answering questions being the issue, it's the matter that -most people- need customs at higher levels to succeed. If they don't start early, they can't quest at all because they can't complete kill quests, or survive agros for retrieve quests.

With customs being a requirement--even if it's only perceived(it's more than perceived from my perspective, you generally need a couple to survive higher levels)--the later you start, the worse off the player is. And this leads to a lack of player retention, because they don't want to start over and -have- to spend hundreds, or even thousands of hours questing at a low level to get the resists they need to survive.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Tylon

• Builders
  • New
While I agree that this is off-topic, I will briefly elaborate. Yes, there are other reasons for retention but I feel this must fall squarely into that category. The issue as I see it is one of both necessity and time required. Players that are relatively new to the realm simply won't be hooked enough into the system to invest the kind of time custom sets require. So (as has been seen over and over again) they either level unprepared and get waxed or start building customs and grow tired of it, leaving. So I maintain that having the sentiment that brand new players need to properly build their characters up with customs is part of the problem.

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
I think hearing that you have to get 20 customs could be a concern for new players. But what else do you think causes them to leave?

Obviously some (Arioch or Kalindal) are shown the door.

Others just find something else irl that takes up more time (Valkeo)

Others find newer games to play, or just struggle to stick with text based game (I have a few friends like that I showed MUDs too, and none of them 'stuck' with it because of lack of graphics)

Do they get bored? (Thaxn did most of what was out there to be done and we don't hear from him anymore)

Obviously these answers vary from person to person, there is no consistent reason that covers everyone - or even a third - of the players. We aren't going to render out 3D graphics any time soon, and obviously if people feel that other players are hostile, they may leave as well. But what are some of the initiatives we could look at that might help players stick around? If we find a few common themes, those could become topics on their own on here.

Thanks!
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

elios

• New
Perhaps a more comprehensive guide about custom weapons and armour creation? Like a "Customs for Dummies"?  I do hope this suggestion helps Chalgyr  8)

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
There is/was one(Tsythor still hasn't unbroke the wiki), the problem is, people don't necessarily go and -look- at these things because it's not obvious they're needed.

You either have to slap a sign down that says, "Hey. Uhh... you're gonna need customs to advance. Better look into those." Or just bring normal gear up to parity and tone mobile damage downward so that you can make it on normal gear without being blown up like a glass figurine thrown at the floor.

The latter is a more reasonable route, even if it will require more work.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Elendil

• New
Hmmmmmm,

There is an idea I have been thinking about for quite a while, evolving it and getting opinions from a few of the people that play.  In one of the games I played, there were P.C.'s that would be tagged as "Path Leaders".  The drivers behind those chars basicly were representatives of their char's path, would be available to answer any and all questions with regards to class. The positions are voluntary of course.

In the context of this game, imagine a Gladiator path leader,  Elitist path leader, Forestwalker path leader, et al.  These would be the "go to" people for questions about customs, training, ect.  They would serve to grease the skids for those new people coming in, make their gaming experience the easier and the more fun.  What do you think of that idea Chal, Thalia and Company?

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
We have trouble maintaining 5 kingdom leaders and 5 religion leaders.    I'm not sure adding 40 profession/class leaders is going to work.... maybe 5 (cleric, fighter, rogue, scout & mage), but my guess would be that there's going to be a lot of overlap between who is in the kingdom & religion leaders and a path leader.

Or maybe if we ditch kingdom leaders and switch to profession guilds instead with the leader of a guild being someone in the 4th tier?? 

Hmm... don't know.

Tylon

• Builders
  • New
Hmmmmmm,

There is an idea I have been thinking about for quite a while, evolving it and getting opinions from a few of the people that play.  In one of the games I played, there were P.C.'s that would be tagged as "Path Leaders".  The drivers behind those chars basicly were representatives of their char's path, would be available to answer any and all questions with regards to class. The positions are voluntary of course.

In the context of this game, imagine a Gladiator path leader,  Elitist path leader, Forestwalker path leader, et al.  These would be the "go to" people for questions about customs, training, ect.  They would serve to grease the skids for those new people coming in, make their gaming experience the easier and the more fun.  What do you think of that idea Chal, Thalia and Company?

I like the idea a lot in theory. In practice I fear there's too few players to pull it off at present time.

elios

• New
Hmmmmmm,

Or perhaps an unofficial advisor for each first tier class?  That can be done with the existing player-base Chalgyr.