Author Topic: Mini-games  (Read 2344 times)

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
Mini-games
« on: 03/18/13, 10:30 »
This isn't really a what's done right or wrong, but do you like the mini games on the MUD (coin flips, cutting cards, gambling, etc). What do you like or dislike - and more importantly, are there any other mini-games you wish we had? If so, do you know of any working examples you can share?

Thanks!
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
Re: Mini-games
« Reply #1 on: 03/18/13, 11:04 »
I like mini-games. It's all a matter of it having balanced rewards--or, being so fun, yet rare that the reward is seeing the game itself.

What I've seen in other games, that would be nice(obviously, coding would be a different matter): Blackjack, poker, chess(yes, chess)[by extension checkers, or maybe even Go(I don't even know how to play that...)]... there are other games I could list, but they're harder to explain... and would probably just be "stealing", and I don't think you want that.

Coin flips are kinda boring, though... I mean, it's nice to have for whatever reason, but it's not really so much a mini-game as it is just a way to make a 50/50 call.

Give us chess >P With an ASCII board and pieces >P (well, maybe just Alphanumerical designations for the pieces...) Chess is fun in and of itself without any reward. ... Don't know if anyone would -play- though. >P
« Last Edit: 03/18/13, 11:07 by Daklore »
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 03/18/13, 12:40 »
How about we generate a list of potential games and then have a vote on what people will actually use?

I''d rather implement a 2-player game that 4 or more people want to play than a 4-player game only 1 person is interested in playing.

;)

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #3 on: 03/18/13, 12:46 »
How about we generate a list of potential games and then have a vote on what people will actually use?

I''d rather implement a 2-player game that 4 or more people want to play than a 4-player game only 1 person is interested in playing.

;)

^^ This

That said, I do love chess, but not sure how easy/hard that is to MUD-inize. :P
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Tylon

• Builders
  • New
« Reply #4 on: 03/18/13, 20:00 »
One MUD I played had a stock market, that was kind of interesting. It was rp'ish too, i.e. Klevnone Mining Consortium or whatnot.

Toar

• New
« Reply #5 on: 02/02/15, 22:01 »
I'd love a slot machine. I'd play it religiously, even if the house always won. Especially if it told the whole mud "Toar just hit the JACKPOT!! 1,000,000 gold!" or whatever.

Mmm. Slot machines.
-Toar

Jadyss

• New Contributor
  • Hey everyone. It's Mike.
  • Other character names: Jadyss, Kagaho
« Reply #6 on: 02/02/15, 22:21 »
Slots and Stock Mocket are very cool.
Smart. Intelligent. Articulate. All words that you can find in a dictionary.