Author Topic: Registering to play  (Read 1678 times)

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
Registering to play
« on: 03/19/13, 08:26 »
Some MUDs have you register an email address when you create a character. There are quite a few reasons to do this, such as maybe having a password recovery system, or a way to link an email address to characters in case you need to restore them (say you took a 2 year hiatus). This just generally asks for an email address to go on file that gets associated with the account. If a character's password gets hacked, it could be a means for the staff to verify information about that character. I suppose something like this might also allow for you to do something like skip a mandatory newbie school session if you create multiple characters all linked to one 'established' email addy.

I have seen some MUDs that go even further with it, having you complete an in-game registration to unlock certain features (like the ability to see swearing on open channels or to enter certain zones if they are themed as being 'too adult' perhaps). This registration also gets put toward your player file is a good deal more detailed - things like first name, last name, country, birthday, gender and age.

What are your thoughts on this? Does either seem too intrusive? Would having one or both be seen as a deterrent for you? I know some of the MUDs out there some of our other players play on do both of the above - did it give you pause or not?
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
Re: Registering to play
« Reply #1 on: 03/19/13, 12:58 »
I don't see it as a deterrant... but I don't really see a point outside of password recovery. Which would be nice to have.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Tylon

• Builders
  • New
« Reply #2 on: 03/19/13, 18:03 »
I've never been turned off of a MUD from registering but I know for some that can be a large issue. At least for myself I don't mind providing an email, but I do find it annoying when you have to verify the email via a returned email bounce or whatnot.

As an aside I don't think email registration is much of an age deterrent. I think I could create email accounts in early grade school.

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 03/20/13, 06:52 »
I don't have a problem providing an email address.  When necessary I set-up throw away accounts until I figure out if I can trust and plan to continue using a service that requires one.

And as much as I trust us and hope all our players do, I'm not giving a bunch of potential yahoos that I don't know my real name, age, location,  gender, et al.

Yes, I give parts of that information to online retailers and organizations, but by the time I'm signing up I've already vetted them and have some legal &/or financial recourse if I dislike how they handle my information.

What recourse do I have if a fly-by-night mud operator or his/her only semi-trustworthy staff sells or misuses my information?

Note: The Forums do require an email address to sign-up, but it doesn't actually have to be a real address unless you want to use the password recovery service.    I validate you by checking the account name & IP address you use to set-up the forum account against the IP addresses you use on that character to play the game.  It's my manual anti-trolling check.

« Last Edit: 03/20/13, 06:54 by Thalia »

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #4 on: 03/20/13, 08:11 »
I have to admit, I am not surprised some bigger MMO's want that kind of info - but I've been finding quite a few MUDs doing that lately too. I think for me personally, I probably wouldn't want to give that info beyond maybe an email address, but I know a fairly high number of players have no problem handing this info out to other MUDs. The email at the very least, could be useful for when someone needs to get a character restored or hits me up saying they've forgotten their passwords. This is especially problematic if the person has a different ip than they did when they used to play say, a year or so ago, but we ususally get around it with enough time.
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

elios

• New
« Reply #5 on: 03/20/13, 11:50 »
I think you have got everything covered with the email address myself.  Anything more would indeed be viewed as an annoyance.