Author Topic: An option to carry an injured friend?  (Read 2222 times)

sye

• Builders
  • Contributor
  • Other character names: Ashlor Zipfe
An option to carry an injured friend?
« on: 09/05/11, 10:48 »
Hey I was wondering, if someone gets sevearly injured or stuck, if there could be a condition they could 'allow' like 'friend <target>'  allows them always to be able to push or drag, and maybe add carry person.

Maybe just have it check the persons size vs your own, so realistlcally a seelie couldn't carry an athach or dragon.. but an athach or dragon could carry anything its own weight and lower.

so like carry sye
then it would say in the shorts.. "Daklore is here, carrying sye"  kinda like following, or grouped with.
Then when daklore moves, its has me follow, but instead of it saying "sye follows you, you follow daklore" it says "sye is being carried by you, Daklore carries you"
And then you can carry person again to stop carrying them.

I think this would add some good sense to the game, and make a hard situation fixable.  (IE someone getting mortally wonded outside a healer and being stuck for a long time, or maybe even if someone falls asleep and can't wake up.. you could carry them, if you have condition friend set..

Maybe this could have you play with some more mprogs to add sleep code and have a weaponflag that could put someone to sleep too.. (I doubt it would be nice to go THAT far)  but it was just an idea.

-Sye out
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new - Albert Einstein

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
Re: An option to carry an injured friend?
« Reply #1 on: 09/06/11, 06:52 »
Which is more time efficient -- coding a brand new command & consequences* or fixing a problem**

* new command:  CARRY <player>
   consequences: 
      What's the impact to the carrier if they get attacked?
      Does the carried person act like armor for the carrier?   
      Does the aggro-attack code need to check both carried & carrier? or does carried get a
          pass because they are mortally wounded.
      et al....

** fixing a problem -- hasn't previously been reported.  The only reason I know it exists is that I was online when Lex got stuck.

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #2 on: 09/06/11, 14:37 »
I had this image, of Sye using Daklore as a meat shield...

Alternative if this is an idea in response to Lex getting stuck - pour potions/apply herbs/etc to help heal someone if you're not a healer, even when they're in a bad state?  Or wait to see if the problem occurs again. ;)  Not necessarily against the carry thing - sort of reminds me of some of the pk options like dragging, blindfolding, binding pvp opponents in godwars muds - so that's what I thought of when reading the title of the thread
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Fric

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 09/07/11, 01:15 »
I agree with Chal. It would be funny seeing Sye use Dak as a portable sponge. But I also agree with Thalia, if it's not broke why fix it? There are more important things for Thalia to fix and add to then carry. However, you can drag someone.

sye

• Builders
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 09/09/11, 13:57 »
Hey my job is just to add ideas and get this board flowing.. Its your job to help discuss the actual .. well goodness or wellness of said ideas.

Agreed prolly too much work, was just an idea. :)
I was just thinking if someone its 'permission'
they can get pushed out of any room and into any room.. that woudl be the easiest way to do it.

Or .. like it has been done.. just have people spam heal them until they are not stunned anymore.
-Sye out
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new - Albert Einstein

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #5 on: 09/13/11, 07:46 »
Akin to what Sye just said, if something like this were to be put in, I'd say use 'permission' as the means of allowing/disallowing it.  But other than the notion of using Dak or Sye as a meatshield (because really, there's just a lot of entertainment value to be had in those scenarios) - probably not a code piece w/ a lot of additional functionality/justification at this point if it's primary designation is to try and solve a problem that almost never happens. 

Now, could things eventually be added to this that has value with a remodded war system (like 'taking NPC prisoners' or anything like that) - ?  maybe, but that would feel like a very different conversation.
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

sye

• Builders
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 09/13/11, 11:35 »
hmm interesting!  it was the problem that rarely happens that did spur the idea, but it would be fascinating for roleplay, and if someone got dirt kicked, they could get pushed somewhere safe (IE like in time of war etc)  but yeah prolly no use actually sitting down and doing it unless someone really had extra time to fiddle around.

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
« Reply #7 on: 09/13/11, 15:56 »
Again, we can already push people. Drag them, not so much. I submitted a bug about that. Problem with pushing, however, size of race and strength factors in, so a small race will never be able to push Sye's fat arse around.

You heard me.

Get rid of the size modifier and push will work just as well as what Sye wants push to do. And fix drag.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."