Author Topic: Ideas for Pets  (Read 7113 times)

SeanBoggz

• New
Ideas for Pets
« on: 07/01/07, 10:42 »
Ok so everyone has a million ideas for pets and we hear them from time to time so I figured it was time to start a topic for them.

Personally I think it would be nice for not so much "custom" pets but the ability to restring your familiar. I think the religion familiars have plenty of power so no need to have custom pets but being able to call on your own familiar would be nice.

Also the other idea I was thinking about was maybe the ability to ride your pet giving you reduced movement loss for walking when not flying.
Sean Boggz
-Breaking the mold-

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
Re: Ideas for Pets
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/07, 10:45 »
Pfft. You lose the most movement when you recall, who cares about how much you lose when walking? As for a custom restring, simple enough to do... but then the imms would have to monitor them to make sure they're -in character-. IE: To make sure Tsythor doesn't make a Metroid, or Daklore makes a giant Mecha Spider.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #2 on: 07/01/07, 16:21 »
Hello,

I've seen this before as well as giving the player the ability to change the pet's actual 'description' when you look at it.  I'd probably adpot the stance that as long as you don't abuse it, yer fine - abuse it and we take the commanda way for good, but it sounds like a reasonable idea. :)
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

azzan

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/07, 17:22 »
I love the idea as well.. but like Dak said... there would need to be alot of policing to make sure that people aren't abusing the commands. (I would be ridding a Giant Gerbil) :)

SeanBoggz

• New
« Reply #4 on: 07/02/07, 09:59 »
to help with the abuse there could be a set number of times you could change it or it could cost an increasing amount of whatever with each change
Sean Boggz
-Breaking the mold-

azzan

« Reply #5 on: 07/02/07, 10:48 »
That wouldnt readly help abuse though... just decrease the interest in it to begin with. Problem would be the first restring being inapropriate for the mud - but thats a good idea to keep people from changing crap on a hourly basis:)

Thalia

• Code Junkie
  • Board Administrator
  • Heroic Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 07/02/07, 12:53 »
:: mumbles something about giving herself more work ::

I've always thought that it should be possible to give pets armor & weapons and stuff that's appropriate to the type of pet (for example, collars, coats, barding, sharpened claws).

And re: descriptions .. maybe something like letting people vary color and build?  (a PETAPPEARANCE command like the player APPEARANCE).  So instead of just a dog, you could have "a lanky yellow dog with blue eyes".

azzan

« Reply #7 on: 07/02/07, 13:09 »
Thats a good idea. Both of them actually :) I like the idea of pets having approriate clothing - and the setup like characters eliminates the need for you guys to spank us.... well.... umm... yea :) good idea.

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #8 on: 07/02/07, 13:57 »
*laughs at Thalia*

I don't know why we do that to ourselves.  "Looks like a pretty busy Monday, don't see any particular let-up in sight before next thursday, but what do you think of this idea that will cause me more work..."

:)

Btw, I like it. :P
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

azzan

« Reply #9 on: 07/02/07, 14:53 »
What about a "pet factory" - that allowed you to purchase blanks for certain level ranges and upon entering the command it would take you through a mini-build process that allowed you to basically go through the creation process like you would a character (stats and all?) Perhaps even make them available at quest masters - giving each questor pet different resists - making them more valuable versus just flying into battle and not caring if they die. Not a well thought out post on my end - but i think you may get the idea  :o

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
« Reply #10 on: 07/02/07, 15:41 »
If we were gonna give them gear and the what not, they'd have to follow us everywhere without fail... Sort of like some video games wherein your NPC allies warp to your location if you get too far away ... okay, only one I can think of is in Diablo 2, but still. As for pet descriptions, sure, why not? But instead of making a new "pet" for us to modify, why not apply it to religion familiars? Maybe put a token cost on different features, or RPXP, or something... or even a mix of both. *shifty eyes* And give us the ability to order our familiars to attack for us! Some people need the meatshieldness.
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

azzan

« Reply #11 on: 07/02/07, 16:32 »
I like the idea of them transporting back to you after so long w/out being at your side. And ordering around - i've always wondered why we didnt have that already? :) Makes for a little more fun when you can make your pet balrog sit and bark... so on and so forth. Plus the meat shield is fun! :)

Leesil

• New
  • Is wasteing away in Marguaritaville
« Reply #12 on: 07/02/07, 18:03 »
I don't know about 'PET EQ", seems like a lot of work for a minor improvement. But being able to either restring a religion pet or make a pet and be able to set the damtype and appearance would be extremely cool.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one.

Lx6

• New
  • One Face Many Names - Lx6
    • LaLuna @ Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: 07/02/07, 19:38 »
hmmm it would be fun to name the familiar's you get from the religions. or the pets you (no longer) purchase.

Also speaking of 'pets'

Rangers. At a certian point such as in "Forestwalker" shouldn't there be a charm like ability they could have like "Tame" (maybe there is one and I missed it :P) where you can tame a beast within the appropriate level to be your slave/pet (like Charm XD)

-please insert brain here-

Alaunae

• New
  • Newt Queen
« Reply #14 on: 07/02/07, 22:24 »
hmmm it would be fun to name the familiar's you get from the religions. or the pets you (no longer) purchase.

Also speaking of 'pets'

Rangers. At a certian point such as in "Forestwalker" shouldn't there be a charm like ability they could have like "Tame" (maybe there is one and I missed it :P) where you can tame a beast within the appropriate level to be your slave/pet (like Charm XD)

You didn't miss it in Forestwalker.  However, Beastlords get a skill at level 195 called 'Tame' that allows them to do exactly that; tame other creatures to follow them everywhere like mindless drones.  Personally, I think that it's in the right place -- Beastlords would be the ones who should have some control over the beasts, not necessarily Forestwalkers, imo -- but I suppose that could be open for some debate.