Author Topic: Jail  (Read 5315 times)

azzan

Jail
« on: 07/11/07, 13:56 »
How about a jail command for leaders of kingdoms. A way to punish those who break the laws of their own kingdoms. There could be ways to escape and all that fun stuff. It wouldnt be like the IMM punishment of course - channels would still be open and all of that - just locked in jail for say like 1 to 5 ticks and have it affect your affiliation with your kingdom (perhaps on a lesser level - like selling goods gives less gold and the quest master gives you less tokens (10% or something) for a few until your mistakes are forgiven by the king/queen.

Lx6

• New
  • One Face Many Names - Lx6
    • LaLuna @ Deviantart
Re: Jail
« Reply #1 on: 07/11/07, 20:52 »
It sounds like a semi fun idea...... but it would just be easier for the King to banish the person rather then jail them.
-please insert brain here-

azzan

« Reply #2 on: 07/12/07, 07:21 »
Understandable - but not all things are worthy of being banned either. :) Just gives some grey area instead of just black and white.

SeanBoggz

• New
« Reply #3 on: 07/12/07, 10:27 »
This would be awesome IF the Kingdom Leaders could jail anyone in their kingdom meaning when Fonce of Tolin strolls into Klevnone killing guards as usual then Isabella sends her jail guards after him and poof Fonce is captured and put in jail.
Sean Boggz
-Breaking the mold-

Lx6

• New
    • LaLuna @ Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: 07/12/07, 11:42 »
This would be awesome IF the Kingdom Leaders could jail anyone in their kingdom meaning when Fonce of Tolin strolls into Klevnone killing guards as usual then Isabella sends her jail guards after him and poof Fonce is captured and put in jail.

Now that seems more interesting. and would start mini wars between Kingdoms....

It would give the advisor's and paper pushers of the Kingdom Something to do.

ex:

delegate your way into having the other side push the "Let's not Fight" button!

Chalgyr

• Grand Poobah of Kingdoms of the Lost
  • Implementors
  • Heroic Contributor
  • Grand Poobah
    • Chalgyr's Game Room
  • Other character names: Glith, Devinoste, Deakkyn, Wolfryc, Rylee, Deus... it goes on for a while
« Reply #5 on: 07/12/07, 12:35 »
something along these lines was discussed a long time ago, but thought to be too easily abusable.  still, if we can come up w/ a fair way of doing it, I wouldn't be opposed to the notion, but we'd have to give it some heavy thought.
I must be here, 'cause I'm not all there.

Lx6

• New
    • LaLuna @ Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: 07/12/07, 14:13 »
something along these lines was discussed a long time ago, but thought to be too easily abusable.  still, if we can come up w/ a fair way of doing it, I wouldn't be opposed to the notion, but we'd have to give it some heavy thought.

hehe but Chal. Everything is abusable in any game. the same could be said for people who are made Kings of Kingdoms.

SeanBoggz

• New
« Reply #7 on: 07/12/07, 21:01 »
the way you keep it from being abused is have the other kingdom declare war if the person sent to jail was sent for no reason

the abuse factor will be dealt with IC'ly no worries
Sean Boggz
-Breaking the mold-

azzan

« Reply #8 on: 07/13/07, 07:48 »
I would tend to agree with you - but how are you going to know if the person being sent to jail was for no reason - its all going to be he said/she said. That and nobody's got the "junk" to start a war... I good old war is what KotL needs! :) but probably wont happen.

Calryc

• Builders
  • New
  • Lazy Builder
« Reply #9 on: 07/13/07, 09:31 »
But in a fantasy setting, doesn't that happen a lot?  "Wrongfully accused" for being of a certain race in the wrong place at the wrong time, for example.  Personally I agree with how it might be cool for those who handle PR within the kingdoms to have to deal with such things. "It was all just a simple misunderstanding... please don't kill me..."
"Knights protect countries at all costs...
   ... Welcome to Kingdoms of the Lost"

SeanBoggz

• New
« Reply #10 on: 07/13/07, 10:05 »
If there Kingdom isn't willing to stick by their side and take up for them when they were "wrongfully" accused then I'm sure that person would leave the Kingdom and cause doubt in either the king or the person that left the kingdom either way the RP affects are still great and I love it
Sean Boggz
-Breaking the mold-

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
« Reply #11 on: 07/14/07, 16:53 »
Why not just give kingdoms the option to label players as enemies, and have it supported by code. There could be varying levels of enemying, and the 'enemy' would be notified, so they could find out why they were enemied in the first place. ... Yeah, I can see how this would suddenly make Daklore an enemy everywhere. But yeah.... you could have varying degrees from refusing service in shops and the healer, to guards attacking (yeah, what kind of a penatly is that, I know. Guards are weak... and you'd end up losing faction... which would mean there'd have to be some sort of exemption clause put in for faction and enemy... or... well, no... if you're an enemy, then who cares?). While being attacked by guards, they would call for guards, and if so many guards appeared, the odds of you getting thrown in jail would increase.... (like say, a level 175 with 12 guards on them is probably going to win -anyway-... but with those odds against one person, it's highly likely they'd get overwhelmed and captured), and pending on your enemy level you could get simply kicked outside the city limits (moderate enemy level), thrown in jail (threat to the crown), or downright executed (akin the slay command, this would be at the most extreme level). As further checks for abuse, the level would have to be increased gradually.... say maybe one -real- day passing before the threat level can be increased, or something. That way, if it was necessary, the imms could intercede before someone got killed unfairly. Like me *shifty eyes* Who'm I kidding? Daklore is disliked everywhere -anyway- ... See? I do suggest ideas that will likely hurt me in the long run!
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Zelos

• Contributor
  • The 1 horse in this 1 horse mud
« Reply #12 on: 07/14/07, 21:44 »
Daklore, you have stunned me, that is a very good idea. which reminds me, I need to get my tokens back from shaia.
Tsythor <outgame>: '...  Lineer!  You freaking genius'

Daklore

• Builders
  • Sr. Contributor
  • Crazy Perverted Gnome Demon
« Reply #13 on: 07/15/07, 10:33 »
Daklore has plenty of ideas, but many of them don't really fit into KotL all that well... okay, so it's really that I think Thalia is swamped as it is and don't want to give her that much more of a workload *shifty eyes* >P
"Okay, who let Odin out of his cage?"
*A blue bouncy ball bounces by*
"That's it, I'm outta here."

Leesil

• New
  • Is wasteing away in Marguaritaville
« Reply #14 on: 07/15/07, 17:07 »
I like the general idea of Leaders being able to Jail people, and definitely agree that we need a good war around here, but I think Dak's idea might be a bit too much work. If you want to make it less abuseable make it so that a faction leader needs to get a second before doing it.  For example say Kraca wants to jail someone for attacking a Mesilena citzen, or just killing crazed citizens, he needs to get Nealah to also order it before that person is jailed or has there standing lowered or whatever punishment is agreed upon. Now the drawback is that it is slower than instant retribution since you have to track down a second person, but instant punishment for crimes is not realistic, you're gonna go a day or two think you got away with it before the guards show up at you door to drag you off, or boot into a noexit room when you log in one day.  You could also take it further so that a another person or two in the leader's faction can second the command, or even a member of said Kingdom's Nobility can sign off on it (steals Daklore's Shifty Eyes). Ok i'll stop rambleing now.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one.